Most guys growing out their first beards quickly realize that there’s a whole lot to learn about grooming a beard and what details go into it.
But what if you don’t care about buying all sorts of different beard-specific products? What if you only want to use the bare minimum and still have your beard in mint condition?
Well, today I’m here to tell you that it’s indeed possible!
Let’s start by tackling one of the most commonly asked questions…
Table of Contents
Can You Apply Face Moisturizer on a Beard?
Yes you can apply moisturizer on the beard skin.
In fact, normal face moisturizer is often times better at warding off dry beard skin than beard oils are.
That’s because moisturizers are designed to hydrate and nourish the skin itself, whereas beard oils mostly keep the facial hair itself from going dry and brittle.
So if you have been using moisturizer on your face before growing a beard, you can still continue applying that same moisturizer to the skin underneath your beard as well.
No need for beard oil, unless you want to get some to add on top of it.
But is it Still Better to Use Beard Oil Instead?
Well, not necessarily.
The only key difference between a moisturizer and an oil, is that the moisturizer is usually water-based and absorbs quickly into the skin itself.
Whereas beard oils are obviously oil-based and they tend to stay in the facial hair and the skin, giving your beard some caring benefits as well as a bit of shine and vibrance.
If you can’t decide which one to get, you might even go ahead and look at the possibility of buying a dedicated beard moisturizer, like some of these seven we have highlighted in this post.
In a nutshell:
- Regular moisturizer is better for the hydrating the skin underneath the beard.
- Beard oil is best suited for direct application to the facial hair fibers itself.
And yes, you can use both of them. Just apply a light layer of moisturizer underneath the beard, and a couple drops of beard oil directly into the facial hair fibers. That way you will get the benefits from both Worlds.
What Type of Face Moisturizer is Best for Bearded Men?
So you want to find the optimal moisturizing lotion that is good for face and beard at the same time?
That’s easy, you only need to look at the following things…
- Make sure it’s light and let’s your skin breathe, so no vaseline, etc in the ingredients.
- The lotion should be water-based, but it’s best if it has some light oils infused into it, preferably jojoba oil or meadowfoam seed oil.
- If you can find a brand that also has vitamin E in it, that would be great. As a fat-soluble antioxidant, it nourishes both the beard and the skin.
- Lastly, try to limit the use of unnecessary man-made chemicals like phthlates, parabens, and such, your beard nor your face needs them.
Both are water-based with some light oils infused into the mix, and they both have natural vitamin E in them without the use of unnecessary chemicals, and of course, they’re very affordable.
Can you use regular face moisturizer on your facial hair?
The short answer is; yes absolutely.
You can use a moisturizer in conjunction with a beard oil, or solely as is. The goal is to moisturize the dry skin under your facial hair, and for that goal; any regular moisturizer will do just fine.